The St. Louis region was recently awarded one of six innovative, new i6 Awards from the federal Economic Development Administration to identify and support the nation's best ideas for technology commercialization and entrepreneurship.
The St. Louis Regional i6 Project is a new, regional approach to identifying very early discoveries that with the right assistance, especially from industry experts, can be advanced toward commercial viability. The objective of the i6 Award is to create a more robust pipeline of new bioscience ventures in St. Louis that can potentially grow into significant employers in the future. i6 Project implementation is led by BioGenerator.
The i6 Project will accomplish this objective by demonstrating and validating the commercial viability of early discoveries from the region's research institutions, entrepreneurs, and other sources of technology. The two-year project will include two rounds of a three-phase competitive cycle to validate innovations and to narrow the field of commercial candidates to those with the greatest chance of seeding successful new ventures and growing employment in the St. Louis region.
First round applications for entry into phase A of the Project (further described in the request for applications) are due March 31, 2011.
For more information, contact the division of research administration (977-2241) or visit: http://www.biogenerator.org/i6
Project Parameters (subject to change; please see the request for applications for further details):
Candidates for Selection:
- Technologies or business concepts, including service-based companies, from universities or other research institutions, entrepreneurs, or individuals
- Innovations in the broadly defined areas of bioscience (including, but not limited to: human health therapies, diagnostics, medical devices, products intended for animal health or plant science applications, bio- and renewable energy, and health care/bioscience service companies)
- Idea or entrepreneur may be from outside of the St. Louis region if the emerging new venture is created, or results in job creation, in the St. Louis region
- High likelihood of ultimately receiving follow-on funding or generating sustainable revenue in the St. Louis region
- $25K-$150K per funded project
- Milestone-based tranches
- May include partial stipend for Innovation Champion (amount is capped)
- Reagents and consumables
- Laboratory equipment
- Marketing analysis and business development expenses
- Corporate legal expenses
- Corporate insurance
- Lease costs for lab and offices
- Contractors and contract research organizations
Anticipated Project Outcomes:
The St. Louis Regional i6 Project aims to increase substantially the number of very early-stage technology innovations that enter the local bioscience commercialization pipeline. The Project will support development of business concepts and early-stage demonstration of commercial viability, advancing nascent companies to a position of viability for third party funding.
Please review the St. Louis i6 Project Request for Applications and consider submitting the completed application form and budget to advance commercialization for your bioscience innovation or business idea.
Contact Bridget Turner in the division of research administration for copies of the application, budget template and RFA.
Bridget Turner: 977-2241 or email@example.com