SLU's Team Spirit
What it's like to cheer on the Billikens.
The noise is deafening. The fans flood the court. The team mascot is swept up and carried on top of the crowd. That's team spirit. That's what it's like to be a Billiken fan at Saint Louis University.
SLU's Superior Sports Fans
From free tickets to home games to a student section that blows the roof of Chaifetz Arena and echos across campus from Hermann Stadium, cheering on the Billikens is a highlight of campus life. In fact, SLU the only NCAA Division One school in St. Louis. Find out more about SLU's sports teams.
When it comes to men's basketball, SLU's signature sport, the spirit squad's name says it all. They aren't just SLU fans. They're SLUnatics.
"Once is all it takes to get hooked on Billiken basketball," says SLUnatics president Kyle Braun. "After that, I guarantee we will see you at every game."
The SLUnatics, and their equivalents for soccer fans, Legion 1818, make games an amazing experience. The SLUnatics put 10,000 T-shirts on the seats of Chaifetz Arena for the annual Billiken Blizzard fan participation event and don blue body suits and face paint during the Billiken Blue Out game.
SLU Student Perks
While alumni and St. Louisans vie for tickets to home games, 1,000 tickets are reserved just for students. SLU students also get in free to women's basketball and all soccer and volleyball games.
Hungry? Check out the free food and drinks at pep rallies before selected men's basketball games, and more! Not to mention the bragging rights and the chance to take a picture with an adorable mascot.
Ready to be a sports fan at SLU? Here's what else you need to know!
- What's a Billiken? The Billiken is everywhere. It's the mascot, the namesake of SLU's NCAA teams and is painted everywhere from the floor of Chaifetz Arena of the sides of fan's faces.
- Who are the Saintsations? The Saintsations are SLU's cheer and dance team. While you're getting to know students who make more than just a hobby of being a sports fan, check out the Billiken Band, which will have you humming SLU's fight song, "When the Saints Go Marching In," all night long.
- What are the school colors? Blue and white.
- What is it like to play sports at SLU? It's not just all headlines and competing on a national stage. SLU's student athletes posted a 3.19 GPA in the 2011-2012 academic year. Men's basketball player Brian Conklin was named Academic All-America and 47 student-athletes earned straight "As." Find out what you need to do to be ready.
- How good are SLU's teams? Many Billiken teams make NCAA Tournament appearances, including the SLU men's basketball team which were 2013-12 Atlantic 10 Champions and made back-to-back NCAA Tournament Appearances, and the men's soccer team which has won 10 National Championships and were the 2012 Atlantic 10 Conference champs.
Leave a comment or ask a question:
Ready to Be A Billiken?
polls and quizzes