Travel and Entertainment Policy
All hotel reservations must be booked through American Express Business Travel. The only exception would be for those travelers attending conferences offering discounted block rates.
A single room in a hotel is the University standard. Room upgrades, suites, concierge level, or luxury accommodations are not permitted. Travelers are expected to use University or American Express negotiated or preferred rates whenever possible.
Maximum Reimbursement:Not Attending a Conference
- The maximum reimbursement for lodging is the actual expense incurred up to the SLU Hotel Per Diem. The SLU Hotel Per Diem is defined as the United States government lodging per diem for the applicable locality plus an additional 20%.
- The maximum reimbursement for lodging (including transportation from a non-conference hotel to/from the conference site) is the actual expense incurred up to the published conference block rate.
- Travelers should book conference hotels as early as possible to ensure a room at the discounted conference rate.
Conference Hotel Block Rate $230 Conference Hotel Standard Rate $250 Nearby Hotel Rate $200
- If the traveler is able to obtain a block rate as published in conference material they will be reimbursed $230 (exception allowed to book outside of Amex).
- If the traveler is not able to obtain the published conference rate but opts to stay at the conference hotel anyway they will still only be reimbursed $230 and must pay the difference (including related taxes and fees) as a personal expense (exception allowed to book outside of Amex).
- If the traveler does not obtain the published conference block rate and does not stay at the conference hotel but instead stays at a nearby hotel that requires transportation they will be reimbursed for the nearby hotel and for roundtrip transportation up to a maximum of $230 per day. Receipts are required for all transportation.
All rooms will be guaranteed for late arrival. Travelers must cancel the room reservation by the required notice timeframe specified by the hotel to avoid a "no-show" charge. Cancellations must be made directly with American Express Business Travel by calling the telephone number listed on your itinerary, and travelers are advised to request and retain a cancellation number, date, time and name of the individual as documentation of the transaction. "No-show" charges are not reimbursable.
In special situations, travelers may use appropriate alternative lodging less expensive than a hotel such as dormitories or hostels.