The primary purpose of creating a career portfolio is to demonstrate to potential employers your skills and competencies.
Collect, categorize and evaluate work and academic samples. Identify personal strengths and weaknesses in key skill areas, assess primary interests, and examine core values as you develop a plan for pursuing a future career path.
Analyze how you can develop and utilize your own personal career portfolio as a tool in conducting a successful internship or job search.
- Listed below are typical steps in developing a career portfolio:
- Identify personal key skill areas, including hard, soft and transferable
- Reflect upon and prioritize personal values
- Assess and rank areas of interest
- Collect and assemble appropriate academic and work samples for inclusion in personal portfolio
- Professional Resume
- Community Service
- Professional Memberships
- Career Goals
- Skill Areas/Work Samples
- Prepare a statement of work philosophy.
- Develop a career plan, incorporating short and long-term career goals
- Develop a professional resume
- Assemble a career portfolio, including essential components