ELHE M.A.: Catholic School Leadership Program"The Catholic school participates in the evangelizing mission of the Church and is the privileged environment in which Christian education is carried out" ( The Catholic School on the Threshold of the Third Millennium by the Congregation for Catholic Education, 1998, #11). Schools train our future leaders, pass on the great tradition of our faith, welcome families into living faith communities, and serve the ever changing needs of society. In order to preserve and advance private and parochial Catholic education at the elementary and secondary levels in the United States, Saint Louis University, a nationally recognized leader in Catholic education, is proud to offer a master of arts (M.A.) for educators interested in leadership positions in Catholic, parochial, private, diocesan, and archdiocesan schools.
Program's FoundationThere are several dimensions to the Catholic School Leadership Program:
- A strong faith component, including prayer, community building exercises, faith sharing, and collaborative cohorts.
- An emphasis on Church teaching, documents on Catholic education, Catholic social teaching, research on Catholic schools, and The Catechism of the Catholic Church
- A skills orientation focused on developing competency in administrative task areas through the use of problem based learning experiences and WebCT modules.
- A strong intellectual component.
- A combination of theory & practice, with specific application to the realities of Catholic school leadership.
- A unique blending of the knowledge base of educational administration with the Catholic theological tradition.
The master of arts program is specifically designed to meet the needs of those who work in Catholic schools including teachers, development personnel, business operations managers, prospective administrators, and administrators. The master of arts degree program consists of a minimum of 32 hours beyond the bachelor's degree. At the conclusion of course work, each student must complete a paper detailing the student's philosophy of education and also complete a one-hour oral examination.
- A successful academic record
- 3-5 years experience in education
- 3 current letters of recommendation
- Acceptable GRE or MAT scores
- Writing sample
Potential candidates in need of more information should contact:
Saint Louis University
Department of Educational Leadership and Higher Education
3500 Lindell Blvd.
St. Louis, Missouri 63103