Foundations Certificate in University Teaching Skills
The Reinert Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning enhances the quality of undergraduate and graduate education by offering two certificates for full- and part-time graduate students, faculty, and teaching staff: the Foundations Certificate in University Teaching Skills and the more comprehensive Certificate in University Teaching Skills. The Foundations Certificate, formerly called the Participation Certificate, can be earned by participating in ten Effective Teaching Seminars, which are offered on a regular basis by the Reinert Center. Because the certificate is the result of an ongoing process of learning and reflection, participants are required to allow a minimum of two semesters to complete it. Certificates are awarded twice a year, at the fall and spring semester Certificate Ceremonies.
The purpose of the Foundations Certificate in University Teaching Skills is to promote the development of faculty and graduate students in their journey toward transformative teaching. The certificate's requirement of participating in ten Effective Teaching Seminars provides participants with pedagogical information to enhance their teaching practice.
The requirement for the Foundations Certificate in University Teaching Skills is designed to create the occasion for participants to meet the following objectives over the course of at least two semesters. Because of the inherent flexibility in the Foundations Certificate, it is the participant's responsibility to choose from the range of Effective Teaching Seminars offered in order to ensure he/she will meet all of the following objectives:
- Identify and analyze different learning and teaching styles.
- Discuss and apply various methods to assess student learning outcomes and teaching.
- Consider productive faculty-student relationships.
- Identify and integrate different uses of digital technology in teaching and learning.
- Recognize different uses of service learning for discipline specific outcomes.
- Acquire knowledge about fundamental classroom teaching skills, including lecturing, managing discussions, and other active, experiential, and collaborative learning techniques for a variety of teaching contexts and environments.
To complete the Foundations Certificate, participants participate in ten Effective Teaching Seminars.