Department NewsHome>Department News
- The department is pleased to announce that Godehard Brüntrup (Munich School of Philosophy) will be the Collins Visiting Professor during the 2012-2013 academic year.
- Barbara Merker, (Frankfurt) will join the department for the Spring of 2013 as the Frankfurt Visiting Professor. She will offer a seminar focusing on Hannah Arendt.
- Christopher Sheilds (Oxford) joined the department in the fall of 2012 as the Collins Visiting Professor. The topic of his graduate seminar was Aristotle on the Soul.
- Alexander Bird (Bristol) was the Collins Visiting Professor for Fall of 2011. He offered a seminar devoted to "Topics in the Metaphysics and Epistemology of Science."
- Professor Dr. Friedmann Buddensiek (Frankfurt) joined the department in Spring 2012 as the Frankfurt Exchange Professor. He gave a seminar on Aristotle's Metaphysics.
- Wilhelm Essler (Frankfurt) was the Frankfurt Exchange Professor in Spring 2011. Professor Essler's offered a seminar in epistemology.
Honors & Awards
- Eleonore Stump has been named to the American Academy of Sciences. She is the first faculty member from Saint Louis University to be selected to join the academy. She was formally inducted into the Academy in October 2012. More details can be found here.
- Susan Brower-Toland and Jon Jacobs recieved a Templeton Foundation Course Grant for their upcoming graduate seminar in Analytic Theology. The seminar, which is cross-listed in Theology and Philosophy, will be offered in Spring of 2013.
- Bill Charron was selected as the 2012 faculty speaker for Saint Louis University's annual Last Lecture Series. His lecture, "In the Beginning is My End", was featured in the University News. Read the article here.
- John Greco offered the Sykes-Melugin Lectures at McMurry University, April 2011.
- Elizabeth Foreman recieved one of the much sought-after SLU Faculty Research Leave Awards for the Fall 2011.
Recent Faculty Publications
- Saint Louis University's Philosophy Department will host the first annual MAWM (Midwest Annual Workshop in Metaphysics). Jon Jacobs is organizing this year's workshop. The program can be found here.
- This year's annual Graduate Student Conference (March 2013) will be devoted to the Problem of Evil, with Alvin Plantinga and Paul Draper as keynote speakers. CFP can be found here.
- Dan Haybron organized last year's Henle Conference (March 30-31st, 2012). The conference is devoted to the topic of Happiness and Well-being. Speakers include: Richard Kraut, Peter Railton, Valerie Tiberius, Erik Angner, Nicole Hassoun, and Tobias Hoffmann.
Recent and Forthcoming Publications
Joshua Anderson: "A Tension in the Political Thought of Huey P. Newton", Journal of African American Studies; "Sen and the Bhagavad Gita: What Are the Lessons for a Theory of Justice?" Asian Philosophy 22:1.
Errin Clark: "Can the Churchlands' neurocomputational theory of cognition ground a viable epistemology?" In R. Scott Smith, Naturalism and Our Knowledge of Reality (Ashgate, 2012).
Robert Hartman: "Involuntary Belief and the Command to Have Faith", International Journal of Philosophy of Religion, 69 (2011):181-192.
Jason Reed: "The Temporal's "Presentness" to Divine Eternity in Thomas Aquinas" in Categories, and What is Beyond, Gyula Klima and Alexander W. Hall (ed.), (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2011), pp. 97-110.
Yong Li: "Evolution, Care and Partiality", Asian Philosophy, Vol. 21, No. 3, August 2011, pp. 241-249.
Honors & Awards
- Johnathan Reibsamen and Nick Setliff recieved the 2011-2012 James D. Collns Graduate Sudent Award for Excellence.
- Ben Hart recieved a competitive, university-wide Dissertation Fellowship for the 2011-2012 academic year.
- Beth Rath and Josh Heter are recipients of the 2010-2011 James D. Collins Graduate Student Award for Excellence.
Congratulations to all those who defended their dissertation in the Spring of 2012!
- Charity Anderson: "Why I Can Know I Will Lose the Lottery: A Defense of Stable Invariantism" (Directed by John Greco)
- Stephen Chanderbhan: "'That Your Joy May Be Full': Emotions in the Thought of Thomas Aquinas" (Directed by Eleonore Stump)
- Ben Hart: "Why We Are Lucky to Be in Control: A defense of the Compatibility of Luck and Moral Responsibility" (Directed by John Greco)
- Yong Li: "Moral Partiality" (Directed by Eleonore Stump)
- John Putz: "Knowledge as a Universal License to Act" (Directed by John Greco)
- Charity Anderson has accepted a 3 year Post-Doctoral research fellowship at Oxford University. She starts in the Fall of 2012.
- Steve Chanderbhan accepted a tenure-track position in the Department of Philosophy at Canisius College. He started Fall of 2011.
- Adam Green received a 2 year Post-Doctoral Fellowship at the University of Innsbruck, Austria. He started Fall 2011.
- Jeremy Neil started a tenure-track position at Houston Baptist University Fall, 2011.
- Robyn Gaier joined the Philosophy Department at Viterbo University in Fall 2011.
- Undergraduates in Professor Kent Staley's Philosophy of Science course collaborated with philosophy graduate students to pursue joint research projects on the subject of Scientific Realism and Anti-Realism. The results of their research were presented in a Poster Session on Tuesday, May 15, in Adorjan Hall 142. The program for the event is here.
- Congrats to Thomas Piolata, who was awarded the 2012 Collins Award for Excellence in Student Acheivement.
- Class of 2012 Philosophy Majors presented the results of their senior inquiry projects to fellow students and faculty. The schedule for the event can be found here.