Requirements for the Public Law track
The Public Law track requires 30 hours of coursework, including the following:
Core courses - 9 hrs.
- POLS 511 American Political Institutions
- POLS 670 American Political Thought
- POLS 500 Political Science Quantitative Research Methods OR SOC 560 Research Methodology
Other required courses - 9 hrs. Three of the following:
- POLS 541 Administrative Law
- POLS 510 Judicial Review in American Democracy
- POLS 593 Law and Social Change
- POLS 593 Election Law
Political Science electives
- 6 hours of electives
- Internship required - 6 hrs
No more than 12 hours of the M.A. may be taken outside the Political Science department; no more than 6 hours may be taken at the 400-level; and no more than 6 hours may be independent study classes or internships.
Some classes have prerequisites. Depending on their undergraduate programs, students may be required to take specific undergraduate classes prior to enrolling in graduate classes.
Exceptions will be allowed only with the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies for the department.