Federally Mandated Functions
- reviews at least once every six months the institution's program for humane care and use of animals, using "the Guide", as a basis for evaluation.
- inspects, at least once every 6 months, all of the animal facilities, including animal study areas/satellite facilities, using USDA Regulations/Guide.
- prepares reports of IACUC evaluations and submits reports to the Institutional Official.
- reviews and investigates legitimate concerns involving the care and use of animals at the research facility resulting from public complaints and from reports of non-compliance received from facility personnel or employees.
- makes recommendations to the Institutional Official regarding any aspect of the research facility's animal program, facilities or personnel training.
- will review, approve and require modifications (to secure approval); or withhold approval of those components of proposed activities related to the care and use of animals.
- will review, approve and require modifications (to secure approval); or withhold approval of proposed significant changes regarding the care and use of animals in ongoing activities.
- suspend an activity involving animals when necessary; take corrective action and report to funding agency and USDA.