Saint Louis University's new scholarship initiative, Go Further, will match, dollar for dollar, all qualified scholarship gifts of $100 and more.
More than 40 percent of SLU undergraduates have significant financial need. In addition to helping those with financial need, SLU must go further to provide financial support in four other key areas: merit; retention and graduation; military and veteran; and pre-college programs.
"Student scholarships are crucial to Saint Louis University's ability to achieve two primary goals: First to reward students who have demonstrated high academic achievement throughout their high school and undergraduate careers, and second, to help SLU attract a diverse and talented student population," says Jay Goff, vice president for enrollment and retention management. "We believe the broad mix of talented students richly enhances SLU's unique educational experience."
The University's goals are to fund:
- 100 additional scholarships designed to retain students. Undergraduate scholarships are awarded for just four years, but 20 percent of students now take more than four years to complete their degrees.
- 200 additional need-based scholarships. On average, these students need $30,000 in annual support to cover their tuition gap.
- 300 additional scholarships for veterans and military dependents to honor those who have served.
- 900 additional merit scholarships. Merit scholarships recognize achievements and help ensure that SLU students are among the brightest, most talented in the world.
- 2,000 additional scholarships for SLU's pre-college programs. Many of these programs are designed to excite young students, often rising first-generation college students, about careers in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and health-related fields.
The availability of scholarships affects the quality of students at the University. Goff says, "We have been able to use current scholarship resources to make significant increases in our national profile -- meaning the ACT and SAT entrance scores and high school grade point averages of our entering students. Thanks to scholarships, we also have been able to expand our geographic reach and to provide access to students from lower-income families. Making sure qualified students have access to SLU's high quality education is key because it speaks to our Jesuit mission of serving humanity."To make a gift, visit giving.slu.edu/gofurther or call 314-977-2849.