1.2 Purpose of Manual
1.2 Purpose of Manual
|CHAPTER||Purpose of Policy and Procedure||DATE ISSUED||DATE REVISED|
School of Medicine Policy and Procedure Memoranda shall communicate a wide range of information including mandatory requirements and guidelines. The memoranda shall establish responsibilities and delegate authority. The memoranda shall communicate policies which apply to more than one of the departments, units or divisions of the School of Medicine.
To provide an effective means of communicating policies and procedures to all departments, units and divisions of the School of Medicine in as concise a manner as possible and to establish the School of Medicine's position on pertinent topics (policy), justify their existence (purpose) and identify the appropriate method of accomplishing the policy (procedure).
- Policies shall be written to establish and clarify the School of Medicine's position on all major functions and responsibilities in which consistent action is necessary or desirable. The policies shall be written in such a manner as to facilitate decision making and action.
- Policies and procedures must be in line with general policy guidelines of the University and other appropriate regulatory and accrediting agencies outside of the University.
- Any policy that affects or shows interaction with one or more departments, units or divisions of the School of Medicine shall be designated a School of Medicine Policy and Procedure Memorandum and be signed by the Dean or designee.
- All School of Medicine Policy and Procedure Memoranda shall consist of a policy statement, related purpose, procedure, reference, rescission and review date. Policy shall be a concise statement of goal or intent and limited to a single subject. Purpose shall justify the need for the policy. Procedure is the detailed plan for implementation of the policy. Reference includes reference to any pertinent University policy, or any pertinent regulatory or accrediting agency requirement/standard outside the University. Rescission shall identify the previous Memorandum which has been rescinded. Memoranda shall be reviewed by the Dean of the School of Medicine annually from the date of publication and reviewed when necessary and appropriate.
- All Policy and Procedure Memoranda shall be numbered and distributed to all departments, units and divisions of the School of Medicine. The date of revision should appear next to "Date Issued" whenever said memorandum is changed.
- All Policy and Procedure Memoranda appointing committees or boards shall include in the procedure, the committee/board's responsibilities (charges), delegation of authority (action), a statement as to whom the committee/board reports and the frequency of meetings. An Attachment to the Policy and Procedure Memorandum shall identify the composition/membership and chairperson of the committee/board. Sample forms, letters, etc. shall be identified as an Appendix to the memorandum. All members and subsequent reappointments or replacements shall be appointed by the Dean.
- Policy and Procedure Memoranda may be initiated and developed by the departments, units or divisions of the School of Medicine. It is the responsibility of the author to assure collaboration, including recommendations for publication, with affected departments, units or divisions prior to the final draft being submitted to the Dean for approval.
- All Policy and Procedure Memoranda shall be prepared in final form for signature by the Dean and publication by the Office of the Dean. A history file of Policy and Procedure Memoranda, including reviews and recommendations, shall be maintained by the Office of the Dean.
- Review Date
Reviewed annually and revised when necessary and appropriate.
Approved: Philip O. Alderson, M.D., Dean, School of Medicine