2.17 Developmental Leave
|SECTION||Academic Affairs||NO. 2.17|
|CHAPTER||Developmental Leave||DATE ISSUED||DATE REVISED|
The School of Medicine shall establish a Developmental Leave Policy.
To evaluate proposals from full-time untenured faculty on the tenure track and non-tenure track faculty members eligible to apply for a developmental leave. The purpose is professional development, renewal or obtaining expertise in new clinical techniques.
- Application must be submitted to the Dean at least six months prior to the leave date.
- Application must contain a plan that provides professional development and/or renewal and/or expertise in new clinical techniques.
- Application must contain a statement from the Chairman containing appropriate recommendations as to how the department can minimize the effects of the absence of the faculty member or request for additional funding for replacement.
- If the faculty member is working at another institution and/or under the mentorship of a faculty member or administrator at another institution, a letter from that individual must accompany the application, indicating that he/she is willing to accept and be responsible for the supervision/ mentoring of the SLU faculty member during the developmental leave.
- The application is forwarded by the Dean to the Academic/Sabbatical Leave Committee, which makes recommendations for sabbaticals and developmental leaves. The Committee sends a recommendation to the Dean, who forwards a recommendation to the VP for Academic Affairs for final decision. The VP for Academic Affairs notifies the faculty member.
- Developmental Leave cannot be used to merely obtain additional salary. During the leave, no faculty member may receive compensation for teaching at another institution or for providing patient care (unless a new clinical expertise is being learned) or medicolegal consultation. Faculty members may receive recompense from another institution for moving expenses or travel.
- A report of activities during developmental leave and benefits received from the leave must be submitted to the Dean, the Chairman and the Sabbatical Committee within three months of returning. Faculty member must agree to return to the University for at least one year after Developmental Leave.
The Faculty Manual of Saint Louis University – See “Developmental Leaves”
- Review Date
Reviewed annually and revised when necessary and appropriate.
Approved: Philip O. Alderson, M.D., Dean, School of Medicine