Online Parish Nursing
*Courses start in January and August
The Basic Preparation Course will prepare registered nurses to deliver holistic care in churches and synagogues. It is offered as an interfaith model, incorporating a diversity of faith traditions. The target audience is the registered nurse with several years experience in any area of nursing.
This course uses the standardized core curricula developed through the International Parish Nurse Resource Center, in consultation with the National League for Nursing (NLN) and the American Nurses Association (ANA) Credentialing Center. The course has been adapted to the long distance learning model which allows greater flexibility and allows the participants the option to take the course at their own pace within the framework of the academic semester.
The Basic Preparation Course is designed to help participants:
- Gain theoretical and practical knowledge necessary to begin a parish nurse practice.
- Develop a support system of parish nurses for professional development.
- Examine and nurture their personal spiritual development.
What is a Parish Nurse?
- Parish Nurses are a registered nurse who facilitates the holistic health of a congregation and in doing so helps the church or synagogue reclaim its healing ministry.
- Parish Nurses provides care that focuses on the spiritual, emotional, social, and physical dimensions of the person who is striving to achieve or maintain wellness and to manage illness.
- Parish Nurses develop a faith-based practice in response to the unique needs and priorities of the congregational members across the life span.
- Parish Nurses function in a variety of roles that include educator, counselor, advocate, and referral agent.
- Parish Nurses collaborate with the pastoral staff and members of the congregation in the ongoing transformation of the faith community as a source of health and healing.
- Parish Nurses currently practice in congregations of every denomination in rural, suburban, and urban settings across the United States and internationally.