Joanne Thanavaro, Interim Associate Dean
DNP, APRN, ANP-BC, ACNP-BC, GNP-BC, DCC, Associate Professor
Saint Louis University
School of Nursing
office: (314) 977-8993
fax: (314) 977-8949
Teaching: Dr. Thanavaro is the coordinator of the adult nurse practitioner (ANP) track. She teaches in a variety of nurse practitioner courses including Advanced Health Assessment, Health Promotion, Advanced Clinical Studies: Advanced Practice Nursing: Seminar & Practicum and Advanced Pathophysiology.
Practice: Dr. Thanavaro is certified as an adult nurse practitioner and as an acute care nurse practitioner. She has worked in the intensive care setting as a staff nurse, head nurse, and clinical nurse specialist in hospitals in Philadelphia and St. Louis. She currently maintains a clinical practice two days per week in a private internal medicine practice. She frequently precepts students during her practice.
Research and Scholarly Activities: Dr. Thanavaro's primary areas of research include women and heart disease, cardiovascular risk factor reduction, acute coronary syndromes and evidence based practice. Dr. Thanavaro has authored book chapters and articles related to cardiovascular disease and has lectured locally and nationally on a variety of cardiovascular topics. She is a member of the American Nurses Association, American College of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, Special Interest Group (Program Directors), American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, American Association of Critical Care Nurses and Sigma Theta Tau (Delta Lamba and Tau Iota Chapters).
- DNP- Case Western Reserve University-Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Cleveland, Ohio.
- ACNP-Post Master's Certification, University of Southern Indiana-College of Nursing and Health Professions, Evansville, Indiana.
- ANP-Post Master's Certification, University of Missouri, St. Louis.
- MSN(R), Cardiovascular Nursing (Research), Saint Louis University-School of Nursing, Missouri.
- BSN, Nursing, Saint Louis University-School of Nursing, Missouri.
- Diploma - Albert Einstein Medical Center-School of Nursing, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.