SLU Prison Program in the News
Incarceration in the US
- Tim Barker, SLU Degree Program Pairs Guards and Inmates, St. Louis Post-Disptach, Aug 18, 2010.
- Emily Cavaliere, College in Prison Program Educates Inmates, The University News, Sept 15, 2011.
- Chris Cline, SLU Beginning Degree Program for Offenders, Staff at Prison in Bonne Terre, Daily Journal, Aug 19, 2010.
- Kim Hudson, SLU Professor Aims to Help Inmates (video), Fox 2 News, Aug 18, 2010.
- Ronald Modras, Behind Barbed Wire, Universitas, Spring 2010.
- Kenneth L. Parker, SLU Prison Initiative, OneWorld Magazine, Spring 2011.
- Kenneth L. Parker, "What I Learned About Learning in Prison," Guilford College Higher Education in Prison Initiative blog, June 5, 2013.
- Stefene Russell, Dreaming Down the Walls, St. Louis Magazine, August 2011.
- SLU Gets $150,000 for In-Prison Classes, St. Louis Business Journal, Aug 16, 2010.
Incarceration in the US
- ACLU, Combating Mass Incarceration - The Facts, June 17, 2011.
- St. Louis On the Air, Interview with George Lombardi, Director of the Missouri Department of Corrections, Oct 13, 2011.
- Pam Belluck, Dealing With Dementia Among Aging Criminals, The New York Times, Feb 25, 2012.
- Alfred Blumstein and Kiminori Nakamura, Paying a Price, Long After the Crime, The New York Times, Jan 9, 2012.
- Lynn S Branham, 'The Mess We're In': Five Steps Towards the Transformation of Prison Cultures, Indiana Law Review, Vol. 44, p703, 2011.
- The Annie E. Casey Foundation, When A Parent Is Incarcerated, 2011.
- Jake Cronin, The Path to Successful Reentry, Institute of Public Policy, Sept 2011.
- Adam Gopnik, The Caging of America, The New Yorker, Jan 30, 2012.
- Steven Greenhouse, States Help Ex-Inmates Find Jobs, The New York Times, Jan 24, 2011.
- Bob Herbert, Too Long Ignored, New York Times, Aug 20, 2010.
- Benjamin Todd Jealous and Lateefah Simon, The Root: We Can't Afford To Not Fix Justice System, NPR, April 7, 2011.
- Glenn Loury, A Nation of Jailers, Cato Unbound, March 11, 2009.
- NAACP, Misplaced Priorities: Over Incarcerate, Under Educate, April 2011.
- Richard Oppel, Jr, Sentencing Shift Gives New Leverage to Prosecutors, The New York Times, Sept 25, 2011.
- Diane Orson and NPR Staff, 'Million Dollar Blocks' Map Incarceration's Costs, NPR, Oct 12, 2012.
- Pew Center on the States, State of Recidivism: The Revolving Doors of America's Prisons, April 2011.
- PublicAdministration.Net, What's More Expensive: Prison or Princeton?
- Lucky Severson, Prisons for Profit, PBS, Jan 11, 2013.
- SpearIt, Facts and Fictions About Islam in Prison: Assessing Prisoner Radicalization in Post-9/11 America. Institute for Social Policy and Understanding, January 2013.
- The Stream, Incarceration, Inc. Al Jazeera English, Apr 5, 2012.
- Tobias Winright, Would the Death Penalty Be an Act of Condign Retribution for Mass-Murderers Like Anders Breivik?, Catholic Moral Theology, May 2012.
- Fareed Zakaria, Zakaria: Incarceration nation, CNN World, Mar 30, 2012.
- Janine Zweig, Jennifer Yahner, and Cindy Redcross. For whom does a transitional jobs program work?, Criminology & Public Policy, Vol. 10, Issue 4, 2011.
Higher Education in Prison
- Glenn Blaine and Kenneth Lovett, Cuomo wants to bring back college courses for convicts in prison. NY Daily News, February 16, 2014.
- Carl Campanile, Cuomo announces plan to help inmates go to college. NY Post, February 16, 2014.
- Chelsea Clinton, College Program Inspires Young Inmates, NBC Nightly News, May 8, 2012
- College and Community Fellowship, Promo Video, May 3, 2011.
- Allison Dunne, Bard College Initiative Inspires Governor Cuomo's Education in Prison Proposal, WAMC Northeast Public Radio, February 21, 2014.
- Wendy Erisman and Jeanne Bayer Contardo, Learning to Reduce Recidivism, Institute for Higher Education Policy, Nov 2005.
- Richard Gonzales, Inside San Quentin, Inmates Go To College, NPR, June 20, 2011.
- Lauren E. Gorgol and Brian A. Sponslor, Unlocking Potential: Results of a National Survey of Postsecondary Education in State Prisons, Institute for Higher Education Policy, May 2011.
- Michael Gormely, Cuomo calls for inmate college program expansion. Long Island Newsday, February 20, 2014.
- Natasha Havery, Prison college education is returning to New York, North County Public Radio, February 17, 2014.
- Thomas Kaplan, Cuomo Drops Plan to Use State Money to Pay for College Classes for Inmates. The New York Times, April 4, 2014.
- Diane Toroian Keagy, Acting Justly - Remembering Sr. Patricia Barrett, Maryville Magazine, Fall/Winter 2009.
- Kevin Kiley, Limited Education Behind Bars, Inside Higher Ed, March 4, 2011.
- Kevin Knight, et al., Three Year Reincarceration Outcomes for In-Prison Therapeutic Community Treatment in Texas, The Prison Journal, September 1999 vol. 79 no. 3.
- Ellen Condliffe Lagemann, Doing Time, With a Degree to Show for It, Chronicle of Higher Education, Nov 28, 2010.
- Jody Lewen, Learning and Trusting on the Road to College Readiness at San Quentin, Big Ideas Fest, 2011.
- Katayoon Majd, Students of Mass Incarceration Nation, Howard Law Journal, Winter 2011.
- Katie McLaughlin, College-in-prison grad: 'You can have swagger and be a mathematician.' CNN, February 18, 2014.
- NPR Staff, Prison Library Offers A Place To Escape, NPR, May 29, 2011.
- Steve Paulson, Jody Lewen on the Prison University Project, To The Best Of Our Knowledge, June 1, 2012.
- Lauren Sieben, Report Describes Limits of Inmates' Access to College Education, Chronicle of Higher Education, May 4, 2011.
- Timothy P. Silard, Justice Reform, At Long Last. Huffington Post, February 20, 2014.
- David Skorton and Glenn Altschuler, College Behind Bars: How Educating Prisoners Pays Off, Forbes, March 25, 2013.
- Andrew Skotnicki, The Prison Class: A Risk Worth the Investment. America, March 20, 2014.
- Alan Smith, Philosophy for Prisoners, The Guardian.
- Paul Solman, From Ball and Chain to Cap and Gown: Getting a BA Behind Bars, PBS Newshour, July 26, 2011.
- Paul Solman, How to Succeed in Business by Really, Really Trying, PBS Newshour, July 27, 2011.
- Ann Strainchamps, Sean Pica on Earning His Degree in Prison, To The Best Of Our Knowledge, June 1 2012.
- Rachel Toor, Teaching in the Pokey, Chronicle of Higher Education, Oct 25, 2010.
- Morgan Winsor, Cuomo: We're bringing college classes to New York's prisons. CNN, February 17, 2014.
- Laura Winterfield, et al. The Effects of Postsecondary Correctional Education, Justice Policy Center at the Urban Institute, May 2009.
- Nina Champion and Kimmett Edgar, Through the Gateway: How Computers Can Transform Rehabilitation. Prison Reform Trust, 2013.
- Grant Kaplan, Theological Studies Certificate Graduation Ceremony, 2010.
- Wally Lamb, Couldn't Keep It To Myself: Wally Lamb and the Women of the York Correctional Institution (Testimonies from our Imprisoned Sisters), New York: Harper Perennial, 2004.
- Wally Lamb, I'll Fly Away: Further Testimonials from the Women of York Prison. New York, Harper Perennial, 2008.
- North County Public Radio. Prison Time: 40 Years of the Rockefeller Drug Laws.
- Kenneth L. Parker, What I Learned About Learning in Prison.
- Kenneth L. Parker, Who Are You? GED Graduation Address at ERDCC, Aug 2009.
- Neil White. In the Sanctuary of Outcasts: A Memoir. New York: Harper Perennial, 2010.