Campus Alerts & Access to the Daily Crime/Fire Log
Click to access the Daily Crime/Fire Log
Campus Safety Notice
January 19, 2014
Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Campus Security Act, the Department of Public Safety (DPS) is sharing the following Campus Safety Notice about an incident reported to DPS.
Shortly before 8 p.m. this evening, a student was walking near Tegeler Hall heading toward the Olive-Compton Garage when an unknown individual approached her from behind, placed an object against her head and demanded her cell phone.
The student complied, and the subject ran away from campus toward Lindell and Grand Boulevards. The student did not see if the object was a weapon and was not injured during the incident. No other items were taken.
The student describes the subject as an African-American male, in his 20s, around 5’9” and wearing a black coat.
The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department responded and is investigating the matter. DPS has stepped up its patrols in and around the area.
As a reminder, below are actions you can take that will help you stay safe:
- Always remain alert and aware of your surroundings. Scan parking lots, sidewalks and streets for suspicious persons and activity.
- Report suspicious activity or persons to DPS or the Metropolitan Police.
- Make a mental note of gender, race, age, height, clothing, and distinguishing characteristics and mannerisms of the suspect. Also note direction of travel. If more than one suspect is involved, concentrate on the person closest to you.
- If you are the victim of a crime, call DPS at 314-977-3000 or 911 immediately.
- For other crime prevention tips and safety information, visit the DPS website at http://www.slu.edu/x22899.xml.
Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2014
This afternoon, the Department of Public Safety received a call from a student in Pius Library who saw an unknown individual walking outside on the West Pine Mall carrying a suspicious object, which the student believed to be a firearm. The student also took a photo that he emailed to DPS. An examination of the photo showed that the item the individual was carrying was not a firearm. DPS located the individual, who is an authorized contractor, and he had been carrying a pipe.
As a reminder, it is important to report suspicious persons or activity immediately. If there is any doubt as to whether there is a threat, members of the SLU community are encouraged to err on the side of caution and call DPS right away at 314-977-3000.
Director of Public Safety
Safety Alerts are posted on this website for thirty days.