Apply to be a Transfer Mentor
The Saint Louis University TRANSFERmations Mentoring Program is a volunteer opportunity for transfer students focused on assisting incoming SLU transfer students in their transition by connecting them to SLU communities through various activities and initiatives.
- Must be a current SLU student who transferred to SLU prior to the Spring semester.
- Must be a full-time, undergraduate student in good standing with the University.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 at time of application.
- Must have strong desire to assist transfer students with their personal and academic adjustment to SLU including (but not limited to):
- explore study skills
- time management
- the importance of campus and community involvement
- making healthy choices o personal decision making
- assertive communication
- conflict resolution skills
- identity exploration.
- Must display high level of professionalism with a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Must maintain a high energy level and enthusiasm when working with transfer students.
- Must demonstrate pride in the SLU experience.
- Must possess a commitment to multiculturalism.
- Must demonstrate the ability to serve as a role-model and mentor for new students by modeling integrity and inclusivity.
- Should demonstrate exceptional interpersonal, organizational, leadership, and communication skills.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Assist new transfer students in their successful transition to SLU by facilitating involvement opportunities, promoting a sense of belonging to the SLU community and providing resources for personal and academic success.
- Attend all the training sessions.
- Assist Transfer Oriflamme leader with Welcome Week events and attendance.
- Build a strong community among transfer students
Potential involvements include:
- Assist with phone, email, and in-person outreach to transfer students.
- Assist with presentations for and about transfer students.
- Develop programming and activities for transfer students to enhance the transfer experience.
There are many benefits for students who pursue a TRANSFERmations Mentor position. Mentors will gain significant leadership experience, the opportunity to develop professional relationships with staff and students, the skills to develop and present effective programs and the opportunity to gain and develop a set of effective communication skills. Furthermore, all events participated in will be at no cost to mentors and mentors will have the ability to move into residential spaces early and avoid the rush in order to attend the mandatory mentor training.
TIME COMMITMENTS/IMPORTANT DATES:
Due to the fact that this position is a volunteer leadership position on campus, it allows for flexibility with the understanding that mentors are requested to be available an average of 5 hours each week until mid-October. This leaves great flexibility and openness to add to the position what you feel most comfortable. If selected as a SLU TRANSFERmations Mentor, you will be expected to at minimum be available from August to October.
Applications Due: January 18, 2013
Notification of Position: February 22, 2013