Bachelor of Arts in Criminology and Criminal Justice
For a listing of the courses for the Criminology and Criminal Justice major, visit Curriculum Requirements.
Norm White, PhD discusses Criminology and Criminal Justice at SLU
A degree in criminology and criminal justice provides a well-rounded academic orientation to the nature of criminal offending, law enforcement, court administration and the law, and both community and institutional corrections.
Consistent with Saint Louis University's Jesuit tradition, the Criminology and Criminal Justice major seeks to strengthen communities by focusing on the individuals within the criminal justice system and the factors that cause crime and violence. This major is a good fit for students interested in legal studies, law enforcement at the local, state or federal levels, and working with adults and juveniles in correctional settings, and those pursuing graduate education or a law degree.
Additional Degree Options
- Pre-Law Track: For students planning to go on to law school, this specialized track combines traditional legal studies with criminology and criminal justice courses.
- Honors Courses: For students interested in the stimulating academic experiences and intellectual challenges provided by the Honors Program, which offers Honors-level criminology and criminal justice courses in addition to Honors core courses.
- Minor: For those pursuing other majors who are also interested in criminology and criminal justice, a minor in criminal justice will give students an understanding of the profession and the core values of the field.
A criminology and criminal justice degree opens doors to employment in the criminal justice system and many nonprofit organizations. Graduates might also pursue further education in law or other social sciences in preparation for professional or research careers. In addition, students have the opportunity to complete a field work practicum, allowing them to gain valuable, hands-on experience and make professional contacts prior to pursuing employment. Career opportunities in criminology and criminal justice include:
SLU partners with a wide variety of agencies and organizations all over St. Louis City and St. Louis County to provide criminology and criminal justice students with diverse options for their fieldwork practicum and/or externship experiences. Possible placement options include working with juveniles or adults in private or public agencies at the local, state or federal level and a number of local community-based agencies working with at-risk individuals.
For students interested in studying abroad, SLU has a wide variety of programs, including a campus located in Madrid, Spain, where students can study abroad while earning SLU credit.
Student Activity and Service Opportunities
SLU has a strong service-learning component. Students can embody SLU's Jesuit mission by using the knowledge they gain in the classroom to serve others. Students can volunteer at organizations around St. Louis, and SLU collaborates with more than 250 social service agencies where students can explore all the areas of criminology and criminal justice with guidance from seasoned professionals. Students also have the opportunity to travel on one of our unique immersion trip opportunities.
Faculty and Research
SLU's Criminology and Criminal Justice faculty are nationally recognized as leaders in community engagement with years of professional experience in the field. These faculty members have diverse research interests, including:
- Criminal Justice Decision-Making
- Sentencing and Punishment Outcomes
- Disparities in Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Correctional Treatment of Offenders
- Youth Violence Prevention and Community Engagement
- Understanding the Causes and Correlates of Crime
Why Choose SLU
- SLU's CCJ program is innovative in its approach to correcting the criminal justice system by focusing on the human aspects of violence and crime within the justice system and in communities.
- SLU is founded on the Jesuit tradition of "educating the whole person" - our programs challenge and engage students intellectually with the latest in theory, research and practice. Our major offers students the opportunity to live what they learn through compassionate service.
- SLU is the place you come to change the world. We believe in and are committed to our students' success.
Register today to visit SLU's beautiful 800-acre campus, located in the heart of St. Louis.
If you'd like more information about our majors/minors, fill out our information request form to contact our undergraduate studies coordinator.
Applications are now being accepted. If you're ready to get started, apply now.