This list is a guide to help you navigate your sophomore year. It is your responsibility to integrate the list as how it fits best into your personal and academic goals. These are suggestions to help you throughout your year, but should not be seen as an all encompassing list or a required checklist. Also, be sure to reflect back on the First-Year Experience checklist and look ahead to the Junior-Year Experience checklist.
This is your experience. Make the most of it.
- Identify your major and/or strengthen your commitment to your major.
- Consider enhancing your academic program with a minor, certificate program, etc.
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your core curriculum and develop an academic plan.
- Meet with your faculty mentor per school/college guidelines and continue to establish relationship. Discuss core curriculum and academic plan.
- Utilize Banner Self-Service to run a Degree Evaluation.
- Consider studying abroad; if already have made the decision to study abroad then complete planning steps for your study abroad experience and discuss with your academic advisor. Utilize tutoring and writing resources in the Student Success Center that can assist you with your academic plan.
- Connect with members of the SLU community who are in your classes; discuss forming study groups and exchange contact information.
- Begin researching graduate and professional school requirements, as applicable. Research scholarship opportunities for graduate/professional school.
- If applicable, renew FAFSA by March 1.
Community and Involvement:
- Participate in multicultural dialogues and events. Visit the Cross Cultural Center in the BSC to learn more.
- Reflect on your values and passion. What is your calling and purpose?
- Reflect on who you are and who you want to be. What is your motivation?
- Look into ways that can assist you with balance in your life. What are your priorities?
- Take time to consider who your role models are in your life. Why are they your role models?
- Look ahead to the Junior-Year Experience Checklist to see what you can complete or prepare for over the summer.
PDF version of checklist