Political Science | Master of Arts Degree
The Master of Arts in Political Science allows academically talented students to advance their knowledge and analytical skills by focusing on an interdisciplinary, problem-oriented area of concentration within the broad field of political science. Students can focus on American Politics, International Affairs, Gender and Politics, and Political Theory.
The SLU M.A. prepares students for further graduate study or for careers in government, foreign service, national or international business, non-profit organizations and NGOs.
The department offers an M.A. and an accelerated B.A./M.A. In association with the Department of Public Policy, we offer a dual degree M.P.A./M.A.
|Political Science home||College of Arts & Sciences home|
|Application Deadline for Beginning Term||The Application Package||Apply Online|
|Fall: April 15 (International: April 15)||Transcript(s); Three (3) Letters of Recommendation; GRE G or LSAT scores; Resume; Writing sample; Statement of Purpose||
(Advantages of the web application)
|Spring: Nov. 1 (International: Oct. 1)|
|Summer: April 1|
Tel. No.: 314.977.3035
|Chair: Ellen Carnaghan, Ph.D.
Program Director: Christopher Witko, Ph.D.
Assistantship Application Deadline: January 30
Required Additional Application Materials for International Students
- A completed Declaration of Financial Support packet with all accompanying documents
- TOEFL or IELTS score
Check our English Proficiency Policy page for specific TOEFL and IELTS score requirements. You may also visit our international prospects, applicants and students page for more information about international application requirements.
- A committee examines and reviews the applicant and application wholly.
- A GPA of 3.4 (overall and in political science courses)
- A review of GRE scores
- A review of TOEFL scores (for International applicants)
Political Science Application Review Process
- Applications are reviewed by committee of Political Science Department faculty members
Applicants will be informed as soon as the department makes a decision.
Credit Hours/Coursework: The M.A. is a 30-hour program. Students who enter the accelerated B.A./M.A. program take six of these hours (two graduate classes) in their senior year that count toward both the B.A. and M.A. requirements. | Graduate Programs
Program Description: The Political Science M.A. provides students with advanced skills in political and social analysis and expertise in national or international politics. Students may study either American politics or international affairs, and they can choose between an academic or more practical, real-world focus. | Why should you consider a SLU M.A. in Political Science?
Careers Possibilities: Government jobs, careers in international organizations, campaign aide, diplomat, labor relations specialist. | Career Opportunities for M.A. Students
Curriculum & Program Details: Each student works out a curriculum plan for his or her area of concentration and a capstone project in consultation with the Director of Graduate Studies. Students may elect to take some of their coursework in a cognate field. There are four areas of concentration.
- American Politics concentration. Students can choose from a general American politics tract that is appropriate for many students, including those interested in further academic study of American politics, and two more career-oriented tracks, one in Polling, Campaigns and Elections, and the other in Public Law.
- International Affairs concentration. Students can choose from a general International Affairs track, a track that focuses on Security and Cooperation, and a Foreign Service Track.
- Gender and Politics concentration. This concentration explores the social and political ramifications of gender in U.S. and world politics.
- Political Theory concentration. This concentration provides substantive grounding in the history of Western political thought, as well as the opportunity to explore issues in contemporary political theory and philosophy.
About the Political Science Faculty: All faculty members of the Political Science Department are internationally renowned. | Political Science Faculty and Staff
Scholarships & Financial Aid: For full consideration for financial aid, including assistantships, applications must be in by January 30 for the following fall semester. | Student Financial Services at SLU
Program Highlights: The Saint Louis University M.A. provides students with:
- Broad theoretical understanding of the political and social environments that shape possibilities for change
- Advanced skills in political and social analysis
- Expertise in national politics and policy, or in comparative and international politics
- Understanding of the connections between culture and social and political institutions
- Ability to analyze questions of ethics and social justice in different cultural and historical contexts, and in a variety of professional and organizational contexts - at local, national, and international levels
- Disciplinary preparation for:
- Professional schools, including law, public policy, public health, business, and journalism
- Ph.D. programs in political science and related fields
- Enhanced career opportunities