LINC 2011 Midwest Summit
Research & Education Opportunities in a Changing Economy
Chase Park Plaza, St. Louis, Mo.
$50 on or before Monday, Jan. 31
$75 beginning Wednesday, Feb. 2
Saint Louis University's division of research administration will pay the registration fee for the first 50 SLU registrants, with limited availability. Call Kathy Michael in SLU's office of research development and services at 314-9777-7742 to take advantage of this offer.
For more information about LINC, call Emily Beck at 314-977-7022.
The 2011 Midwest Summit on Leadership in Interdisciplinarity, Networking and Collaboration (LINC) is intended to facilitate faculty research and stimulate broad-based collaborations and institutional partnerships in the Missouri-Illinois bi-state region.
LINC will include updates about:
- funding trends from federal, state, and private funding agencies
- research funding opportunities in science and the humanities
- interdisciplinary mechanisms
- proposal development
- policies, practices, networking opportunities
Keynote Speaker: Roger Beachy, director, National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), U.S. Department of Agriculture
- James Ginther: "Beyond Interpretation: Digital Humanities as a Mode of Research."
Lynda Morrison and John Tavis: "The NIH Review Process: an Inside Look."
John Woolschlager and researchers:"The National Children's Study, Tips for Regional Collaborations."
Linda Warren and Joel Eissenberg: "National Science Foundation: An Inside Look at the Review Process."
Ray Tait: "Fostering Commercial Innovation."
Federal and National Agency Representatives:
- Richard Alo: program director, Presidential Awards for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring (PAESMEM); program officer, Robert T. Noyce Teacher Scholarships and Graduate Fellowship Program; mathematics program director, Transforming Undergraduate Education in STEM (TUES); division of undergraduate education and Directorate for Education and Human Resources, National Science Foundation (NSF)
- David Hanych: program director, Directorate for Education and Human Resources, division of Research on Learning in Formal and Informal Settings (DRL), National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Donald Senich: program director and senior advisor, Grant Opportunities for Academic Liaison with Industry (GOALI); Partnerships for Innovation (PFI); Division of Industrial Innovation and Partnerships; National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Alan Tessier: program director, Dynamics of Coupled Natural and Human Systems (CNH); Environmental Implications of Nanotechnology (CEIN); Population and Community Ecology; Division of Environmental Biology; National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Shawn Drew: Program Director, MARC/ Division of Minority Opportunities in Research and Biostatistics T32 Program; Chair, Committee to Maximize Representation, National Institutes of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS), National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Ming Lei: program director, Cancer Education Grants Program (R25E), Center for Cancer Training, National Cancer Institute (NCI), National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Aileen Schulte: scientific review officer, Division of Extramural Activities, National Institutes of Mental Health (NIMH), National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Andrew Riess: assistant director, Outreach and Communication, Institute of International Education, Depart-ment of Scholar and Professional Programs, Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES), Institute of International Education (IIE)
Representatives from Regional and Local Organizations:
BioGenerator, Center for Emerging Technologies (CET), Cortex, Illinois Humanities Council, Missouri Botanical Garden (MOBOT), Missouri Department of Transportation (MODOT), Missouri Small Business and Develop-ment Centers (MoFAST), The National Great Rivers Research & Education Center (NGRREC), The Nidus Center for Scientific Enterprise (NIDUS), Saint Louis Science Center, and others!
Small group sessions with sponsors will be available.
Web site for a complete list of speakers and session topics: http://www.siue.edu/linc/agenda.shtml
Saint Louis University * Southern Illinois University Edwardsville * St. Louis Community College * University of Missouri St. Louis * Washington University in St. Louis * Webster University