Recently, the Google Docs interface was upgraded to allow more options for organizing and viewing your Documents stored online.
- The "Home" screen automatically displays the Docs that you view most often. However, this content can easily be adjusted. To remove a Doc from the Home screen, simply right-click the Doc, and select "Don't show in home." To add a Doc to your Home screen, click "All items" in the left navigational menu, right-click the Doc you want to add, and select "Show in home."
- You can still search by Document type (text, spreadsheet, pdf, etc.) and ownership, but now, you can also search for a Document based on visibility (SLU, People at SLU with the link, Private, or Not shared). To search for Documents by visibility, just click "More options" in the toolbar and select the visibility permission that you would like to search.
- A "Sort by Priority" option has also been added. "Priority" sorts Docs so that the most frequently accessed Docs appear first in the list. "Title" sorts Docs alphabetically by title, and "Last modified"/"Last opened" sorts Docs by date modified/opened.
- A preview pane has been added to the right side of the screen. To preview any Doc, highlight the Doc by moving your mouse pointer over it and then click anywhere to the left or right of the Doc title. Clicking the Doc title will open the Doc. But, clicking to the left or the right of the title will display a preview in the right pane.
- You may notice that the checkboxes to the left of the Doc titles are gone. However, you can still select multiple Docs. Simply hold down the multi-select key (Ctrl on Windows or Cmd on Mac) and click to the left of each Doc title you would like to select.