Primary Care Loan (PCL)
The Primary Care Loan (PCL) program is a low cost federal loan program for medical students committed to primary health care practice. The interest rate is 5 percent and begins to accrue following a one year grace period after you cease to be a full-time student. When compared to other federal student loans and private loans, the PCL provides significant savings. The loan also offers deferment of principal and interest not found in other loan programs.
To view an overview of this loan and the other types of available loans, click: Loan Overview.
To apply for the Primary Care Loan (PCL):
- Complete the PCL Application Form.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Parental information is required on the FAFSA regardless of age or marital status.
- The student must be enrolled full time and must be pursuing a degree in allopathic or osteopathic medicine,
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident.
In addition, students receiving a Primary Care Loan must sign a written contract agreeing to enter and complete residency training in primary care within four years of graduation, and practice in primary care for 10 years or until the loan is paid in full whichever occurs first. Penalties will apply for non-compliance.
If you are seriously considering practicing in primary care and would like to find out if you might qualify for a Primary Care Loan, please contact the Saint Louis University Student Financial Services Office at the School of Medicine.
Click on the following link if you are interested and would like more information about the Primary Care Loan.
To receive priority consideration application must be returned by April 1.Saunders Family Medicine Loan
The Dr. and Mrs. Richard and Muriel Saunders Loan Fund (SML) was created by the generous donation of the Saunders estate to assist students entering the field of Family Medicine. Students who have matched into an ACGME accredited Family Medicine program are encouraged to apply for the SML.
The amount of the loan varies according to available funding and financial need. The interest rate on the SML is 5%, however, interest does not accrue during residency. Loan recipients must complete their Family Medicine residency training within four (4) years of graduating. The loan must be repaid over a five (5) year repayment period. Entering employment outside of Family Medicine will increase the interest rate to 9% beginning at that date such employment began. To apply for the Saunders Medical Loan:
- Complete the Saunders Medical Loan Application
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Parental information is required on the FAFSA regardless of age or marital status
- The student must be a graduating fourth year medical student entering into an approved ACGME Family Medicine residency program
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident
To receive priority consideration application must be returned by April 1.