Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship
The Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship is granted to students who are committed to the promotion of diversity in our society and who demonstrate leadership in the classroom, on campus and in the greater community. Recipients of this scholarship will be connected to students, faculty and staff who are dedicated to promoting Dr. King's ideals at Saint Louis University.
THE MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION IS AVAILABLE TO FRESHMEN ENTERING IN FALL 2014.
Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship Eligibility
Students who meet the following criteria are invited to fill out a separate application for Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship candidacy:
- An ACT of 23 or greater (SAT 1050 math+critical reasoning)
- Cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher, weighted or unweighted, as reported on the student's high school transcript. Transcripts will be accepted through the student's 7th semester.
Only those students who meet the above-stated requirements will be considered eligible for candidacy. These criteria are used only for determining eligibility and do not guarantee that the student will be selected either for further competition or as a Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship recipient. Upon review of the applicants, a select group of students will be invited to Saint Louis University's campus in March to interview for the Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship.
The Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship is a renewable four-year academic award valuing in $3,000 per year that combines with other merit-based scholarships previously awarded by the University. All MLK Scholars received a minimum total award of $13,000 (merit-based scholarship + MLK scholarship).
Martin Luther King Jr. Application Requirements
To apply for Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship candidacy, students meeting the initial eligibility requirements must:
- Submit all components of the Saint Louis University Application for Freshman Admission, including official high school transcript, test scores and Secondary School Report Form.
- Submit a completed Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship Application, including scholarship essay, resume and two letters of recommendation.
The Application Deadline for the Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship is Feb. 1, 2014.
The Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship Application must be submitted online. We encourage you to plan ahead when submitting your application. Please consider the essay questions before and prepare your answers as you will not be able to save and return to the application once you start it. Applicants will receive an e-mail confirmation upon submission of their application. Please contact the Office of Admission if you do not receive a confirmation email.
QUALIFYING TEST SCORES:
Test scores from either the ACT or the SAT may serve as qualifiers for Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship candidacy. However, scores from December test dates are the last that can be guaranteed consideration for determining eligibility.
ESSAY, RESUME & LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION:
Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship applicants must complete a series of scholarship essay topicss, submit a resume and two letters of recommendation. All of these documents can be uploaded with your scholarship application or they can be sent to Saint Louis University at:
Saint Louis University
Office of Admission
One North Grand Blvd., Room 119
St. Louis, MO 63103
Before you start to complete your scholarship application, please take a moment to think about these questions, gather your thoughts and then write your essays. We recommend that each essay be a minimum of 150 words. This year's essay topics are:
- Excluding the "March On Washington" and Dr. King's jailing in Birmingham, Ala., what specific event (or events) in his life motivates you today? In what ways do you personally identify with Dr. King?
- Describe an experience where you have addressed prejudice and/or oppression in your community. What did you learn from this experience?
Letters Of Recommendations
The letters should provide specific insight into the applicant's personality and/or distinguishing characteristics. Any letters of recommendation that were previously submitted to the Office of Admission will fulfill this requirement. Send Letters of Recommendation to:
Applicants will be prompted to include a resume of activities.
THE MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION IS NOW OPEN FOR FALL 2014. CLICK HERE TO APPLY.