2.11 Commercial Endorsement of Products
|SECTION||Academic Affairs||NO. 2.11|
|SUBJECT||Commercial Endorsement of Products by Faculty Members|
No members of the faculty, in any opinion or certification which is to be used for commercial advertising or commercial promotion of any product, service or business organization, may use the official title of the University or any of its parts, or refer to their professional connection therewith, without the express approval of the President.
To assure that any opinions and claims in commercial endorsements do not embarrass or endanger the assets or reputation of the University and that no conflict of interest occurs.
- The faculty member must request permission of his/her department chairperson to endorse a product.
- If the chairperson recommends approval for the endorsement, that recommendation is forwarded with supporting rationale to the Dean of the School of Medicine.
- The Dean may support or disapprove the recommendation. If the recommendation for endorsement is supported, it will be forwarded by the Dean to the Provost for consideration.
- The Provost may support or disapprove the recommendation. If approved, it will be forwarded to the President of the University with supporting documentation of the rationale for endorsement.
- The President may approve or disapprove the recommendation of the Provost.
- Review Date
Reviewed annually and revised when necessary and appropriate.
Approved: Philip O. Alderson, M.D., Dean, School of Medicine