Visit the College for Public Health & Social Justice website for more information.
- Bachelor of Science in Emergency Management
Overview: The B.S. degree Emergency Management brings together multiple sectors including law enforcement, the military, emergency medical services, social services and the business community. Emergency Management includes disaster prevention, preparedness, response, and recovery. It requires leaders who remain calm and effective in high-stress situations while coordinating with multiple government agencies and relief organizations. With its emphasis on improving preparedness, Emergency Management is a field that can alleviate both the short- and long-term consequences of emergency situations.
Curriculum: The major in Emergency Management allows you to take exciting courses including Dissecting Disasters, Public Health Issues in Emergency Management, Political and Policy Basis of Emergency Management, Mental Health Implications of Emergencies, and Disaster Exercise Design and Evaluation. Upon completion of the B.S. in emergency management, students will have completed a majority of the requirements for the International Association of Emergency Managers Certification (IAEM). Many employers require this certification for new positions.
About the Faculty: Classes for the Emergency Management major are taught by practice-based faculty members who are licensed emergency managers with decades of experience in emergency management and homeland security.
Careers in the Field: Emergency Management is currently ranked in the top 10 professions for fastest growing job sector.
Just a few examples of what you can do with an Emergency Management degree:
- Be a part of international relief work with agencies like the Red Cross or UNICEF
- Work in government agencies at the local, state, or national level
- Hazard mitigation officer for a hospital
- Lead emergency planning efforts for non-profits like the Salvation Army
- Coordinate disaster exercises to increase a community's preparedness
- Emergency response coordinator for private businesses
- Manage media relations during a crisis situation