|The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program educates people about disaster preparedness and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. File photo|
Enroll now in the ever popular SLU CERT program. Spring classes begin Saturday, Feb. 2, and Tuesday, Feb. 5. All classes are held at Ritter Hall and seating is limited. The program is free to all students, faculty and staff.
Classes are held on Tuesdays from 6-8 p.m. or Saturdays from 10 a.m. to noon. The training courses are designed to be interchangeable.
Training is provided by experts from fire, EMS, the FBI and the medical profession. The final disaster simulation gives participants a feel for, and understanding of, their roles and responsibilities in an emergency or disaster. This semester's simulation will be held from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, April 20.
The CERT team is looking for faculty and staff members to join students in learning how to care for themselves and others in an emergency when EMS, fire and police may not be readily available
Email email@example.com or contact the emergency preparedness office at 314-977-3048 for more information.
The course schedule is as follows:
- Disaster Preparedness: Feb. 2 and Feb. 5
- Fire Safety: Feb. 12 and Feb. 16
- Med Operations 1: Feb. 19 and Feb. 23
- Med Operations 2: Feb. 26 and March 2
- Search and Rescue: March 19 and March 23
- Disaster Psychology: March 26 and April 6
- CERT Organization and Terrorism: April 9 and April 13
- Final Exercise: April 20, 2013 form 9 a.m. to noon