Saint Louis University’s Research Strategy Group (RSG) assists with all aspects of research program development.
RSG expands SLU's research capacity by simplifying proposal submission, working with research support colleagues across campus, assisting faculty in developing strategies and skills for grant seeking, and building new research initiatives.
- With decades of first-hand experience with local and national funders, the Research Strategy Group staff can help find potential funders for your project.
- The Research Strategy Group assists with navigating SLU-sponsored competitions as well as current external opportunities or the InfoEd SPIN archive of more than 40,000 opportunities from more than 10,000 global sponsors. SPIN is updated daily, has customizable search options and offers daily or weekly email notifications of opportunities that match your search criteria.
- Beyond our in-house expertise, the Research Strategy Group can refer you to Lewis-Burke Associates, a D.C.-based advocate for higher education and research organizations that offers insights based on relationships with federal decision makers.
- Not sure if a potential funder or competition is right for your project? We can help brainstorm how to frame your idea for maximum appeal – or find a better fit.
- Confused by the funder’s requirements or application process – or SLU’s? We can help sort it out to ensure applications don’t fail due to oversights or misunderstandings.
- Need statistics help for a proposal – or a funded project? The "Mad Statter," Matt Schuelke, can help determine a sample size and/or data analysis plan to best answer your research question.
- Need writing help? We can review drafts for fit with funder’s goals, logical flow and readability, remaining within space limitations and general proofreading. We also maintain a proposal resource site that includes funded proposals that can serve as examples, writing and statistics advice, and general content on SLU that can help polish your application.
- Need collaborators? Success often requires partners who share or complement your interests. We can help find them, either here at SLU or at other local institutions, government agencies, nonprofits or businesses.
Throughout the year, we host workshops, training sessions and friendly gatherings dealing with various aspects of research and scholarship. Contact us if you have questions about the schedule of upcoming events or would like help organizing a gathering of your own.
Jasmin PatelAssistant Vice President for Research, Research Strategy Group firstname.lastname@example.org 314-977-3289
- Led University of Chicago research accelerator and research computing center
- Develops large interdisciplinary program funding and business models
- Experienced with drug applications, clinical trial data management
David Borgmeyer, Ph.D.Humanities Strategist email@example.com 314-977-1129
- Ph.D. in Slavic Languages and Literatures
- Has worked in China, India, South Africa, Eastern Europe and more
- National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Scholar
- Previously taught at SLU, Washington, Fontbonne and Webster universities
- 18 years at SLU in research administration, corporate and foundation relations
- Particular expertise with NIH, HRSA
- SLU business school graduate
Research Strategy & Editing
- Consults to match your goal with funder goals
- Help conveying ideas with concise words and graphics
- Experience from more than 600 proposals
Bob McNairResearch Strategist firstname.lastname@example.org 314-977-9377
- Workshop/conference organizing
- Contact for Spark Microgrants, President's Research Fund, Big Ideas competition, geospatial projects
- Joined RSG from provost office/sustainability department
- Directed Department of Education GEAR UP program for disadvantaged students at UMSL
- 24-year veteran of Army and reserves
Matthew SchuelkeSenior Statistician
- Design, sampling, measurement consults
- Data management, visualization and analysis
- Statistical interpretation and reporting
- History of funding from NIH, NSF, DARPA, ARI and AFRL
For more information on RSG, please contact:Jasmin Patel Assistant Vice President for Research email@example.com 314-977-3289